February 25, 2012

Helmut Federle

"You know, I once said to [Agnes Martin]: “For me, you are one of the last great landscape painters.” And she looked at me, became quite adamant and said, “No, that’s not true! I make non-relational abstractions.” I saw this as a typical dogma, a dogma that came up in the 60s, that you have to be a non-relational artist. I question that. What does non-relational even mean? Why would you want to make a statement of the moment?"

Helmut Federle, The Brooklyn Rail, November 2009




Basics on Composition XXI (For Lee Harvey Oswald), 1992, oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 19 5/8 inches (40 x 50 cm)


Basics on Composition LII (Snow White), 1993, oil on canvas, 15 3/4 x 19 5/8 inches (40 x 50 cm)

Helmut Federle shows at Peter Blum in NY.  Click HERE for more information.

No comments: